Thursday, October 15, 2009

Ether 5

The story of the brother of Jared is one of my favorites in the Book of Mormon. I love how the family of the brother of Jared had enough faith to do what the Lord commanded, even though it was a really frightening thing to do, let alone comprehend.

The end of verse 7 makes me think of life. "When they were encompassed about by many waters they did cry unto the Lord, and he did bring them forth again upon the top of the waters." I think I've heard of the this analogy before, but it's always more meaningful when you realize it for yourself. Sometimes I feel encompassed about by the waters of life and I feel I'm drowning or fighting a battle I can't win. Like the family of the brother of Jared, every time I call upon Heavenly Father to save me, He brings me to the top of the waters.

The very end of verse 10 also made me think of another analogy that has probably been used before. "And they did have light continually, whether it was above the water or under the water." The brother of Jared went through a bit of trial to get the light in the barges. Heavenly Father didn't just give the light to the brother of Jared, he had to think of a way to invite the light into his life on his own. I think it's the same for us, we need to find ways to invite the light of Heavenly Father into our lives on our own, He's not going to force the answer on us. That's part of our agency in finding the path for ourselves.

No comments: